Choose Heath: Food, Fun, and Fitness(CHFFF) is a six-lesson curriculum designed for 8-12 year old children. This lesson series, a curriculum developed by Cornell University Division of Nutritional Sciences and Cornell Cooperative Extension 4-H Youth Development Program, is currently being utilized in Nueces County to address childhood obesity issues in undeserved communities. The goal of the CHFFF program is to engage youth in activities that encourage healthy eating and active play. Specific learner outcomes for each lesson are:
- Drink Low-Fat Milk or Water Instead of Sweetened Drinks
- Color Your Plate! Eat More Vegetables and Fruits
- Read it Before You Eat It! The Nutrition Facts Label
- Make Half Your Grains Whole! Eat More Whole Grains
- Healthier Foods Fast-Eat Fewer High-Fat and High-Sugar Foods
- Power Up Your Day: Eat Breakfast!
During sessions, students play active games to learn and experience fun ways to be more active, including alternatives to screen time. Also after each lesson, students take away ideas for healthy snacks and meals, with recipes sent home in family newsletters.